Guidelines to sharing your Testimony
So you want to share your testimony and you’ve never done it before, or you have but would like to be a little more prepared and concise with your story telling. Good for you! In 1Pet.3:14-15 we find these words: “Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.” 15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…
Your “testimony” is a Bible word used to describe your personal story of where you come from, how you came to receive Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, and how your life has changed now that your sins are forgiven, you belong to Him, and you are following Him daily. This is your story, not someone else’s words, views or opinions and it is powerful. Rev.12:11 tells us: 11 They overcame him (Satan) by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death. Your story will make a difference because it is true, real life and will give people hope to believe that Jesus can change their life too.
So here are a few guidelines to prepare your testimony:
- Pray for God to help you – speak honestly and speak from your heart. Don’t be afraid to use your own words and speak naturally.
- Try to limit the time to 3-5 mins. of speaking – write it out and even rehearse it with someone who can give you constructive help.
- Tell it like you are speaking to strangers – people who don’t know you and you will never see again.
- Try to divide your time into quarters – 1/4, before Jesus, 2/4 (half), how you came to believe in Jesus, and 1/4, how your life has changed as a believer.
- Include at least one scripture – it can be a “life scripture” or any verse or few verses that God has used to bless, comfort or speak to you personally.
- Give God glory and be thankful – the idea is to encourage people that have not yet believed in Jesus to also receive Him as Savior.
- Finish with a short prayer – asking God to bless all the hearers with understanding to believe in Jesus and be saved.
God bless you as you pray and prepare your thoughts and words. Remember your story is powerful and only you can tell it. Jesus love us so much, let’s tell the world.
Your servant and brother in Christ,
Steve De Leon
December 22, 2015
September 22, 2019
September 15, 2019